Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Simple pleasures of a mother

I really need to get out of the house more often, I mean without my kids. My friend upstairs called Monday morning to ask me if I wanted to swap babysitting so she could finish up some last minute Christmas shopping for her children. I said sure, though I'm pretty much done with my Christmas shopping and I really don't mind doing shopping with my kids....or so I thought. This morning it was my turn to go shopping. So I took the kids upstairs, jumped into the car and headed to Walmart. I will tell you what, by the time I was half way into Wally's World with no kids, hadn't worried about parking close for their sake, etc. I was near giddy with childlessness glee. And then I saw a lady with kids about the same age as mine, one was screaming and she was telling him, "I am not buying that so just drop it," while holding the younger one down in the basket seat so he wouldn't stand up and fall and there was really only a small bit of confusion when I started high fiving everybody else who was at the deli counter with me, really I just did a small though unconcealable dance.
After bringing some of the shopping spoils to my husband for a quiet enjoyable lunch with him, not once did I have to chase either child or say no we are not buying anything out of the vending machines...ok only once to Rob ;)....I went back home to hugs and kisses with the determination to babysit swap more often.

5 comments:

Cathy Brian said...

Amazing how such simple things can bring a renewal. I keep forgetting how wonderful it is to shop without kids.

Boy Mom said...

I just love having built in babysitting now. So nice to be alone for a few minutes.

Tera said...

I am with you. I have had several occasions to run to the store with NO kids (while Sean has been around a lot more this month), and it's crazy what a difference it is. And most of the time I really don't mind taking the kids while I run errands, but then when I am totally alone it's feels a little like a vacation. Ahhh.

Robby and Christy said...

Shopping without kids is heavenly! At least once a week I leave as Robby gets home. Sometimes I have actually shopping to do. Other times I just wander around for a couple of hours.

Andrea said...

Amy, I have been switching babysitting with a friend for 2+ years. She takes my son for two hours for one day and I take her son for 2 hours another day. We do this each week. There are weeks when we aren't able to do it, but it is great. Now that I have a new baby she even watches her too! I hope you can do it more often with your neighbor as much as you can before #3 comes. By the way, you should name this new baby #3. Number Three Adams.